1. Name: Gabrielle Reed, but most people call me Tex
2. Age: 18
3. How long have you been an anime fan? I was exposed to anime 11 years ago, but I only really started getting into it 7 years ago.
4. What is your favorite anime? Honestly, this is hard…but I’ll probably have to say Digimon Adventure…and that series was what really drew me into anime as a whole. I think it was because the problems that the characters had outside the digital world were real and tangible and that the characters were diverse, from all walks of life, and they were all able to put their heads together and save the world. That was why I fell in love with it all those 7 years ago…and it’s probably why I still like it (though that could probably be blamed on fandom and yaoi as well…)
5. Who is your favorite anime character? Kagura from Inuyasha, though Izumi Koushiro and Nanami from Digimon come in pretty close, and so does Martel from FMA
6. How large is your anime collection? Please list the anime in your collection (post pictures if possible) I don’t actually own any anime due to the fact that I can’t afford it; I go to a private school which costs me $15,000 a year, and I still have 8 – 12 years of post secondary ahead of me…so I’ve kinda had to save my money. However I will give you a list of anime I have seen:
- Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Cowboy Bebop
- Digimon (all seasons)
- Dragonball Z
- Dragonball GT
- Excel Saga
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Fushigi Yuugi
- Gundam Wing
- Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Monster Farm
- Pet Shop Of Horrors
- Ranma ½
- Ruroni Kenshin
- Saint Seiya
- Shaman King
- Tenchi Muyo
- Transformers: Beast Wars
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- Wolf’s Rain
7. Where do you get most of your anime? From friends, the library, or torrent sites.
8. Subs or dubs? Depends on the anime, but I usually prefer subs. It’s nice to hear the voicing as it was originally done as well as have the original music and original script. I don’t mind having to pause the anime for a few seconds so I can read the subtitles if it means I’m getting the anime as it was meant to be seen.
9. How large is your manga collection? Please also list the manga in your collection (post pictures if possible) Again, can’t afford manga! But I’ll give you a list of what I have read.
- Ah! Megami Sama!
- Ai Yori Aoshi
- Digimon (V-Jump and Next)
- Dragon Ball
- Fruits Basket
- Get Backers
- Mai the Psychic Girl
- Yuu Yuu Hakusho
10. Where do you get most of your manga? Usually rent it from the library, scans on the internet or I borrow manga from my friends.
11. Do you prefer manga or anime? I much prefer anime: trying to “watch” fight scenes through still images gets tough.
12. Do you own any anime soundtracks? Nope…but I have downloaded many songs and nearly all of the digimon drama CD’s
13. Do you have any anime posters in your room? (Post a picture if possible) They’re not up yet, but I do have 3 Inuyasha posters to hang up; the official poster for the second movie, a promotional poster/advert booklet for the RPG game that I got in Japan, and the poster where Sango and Kagome are playing in the river and Inuyasha and Miroku are dive bombing in the background.
14. Do you speak any Japanese? I speak a bit, enough to get me around the country, but not enough to have a proper conversation. I can usually pick out individual words when someone is talking to me and kinda get the gist of what they’re telling me.
15. Have you ever been to Japan? Yep. I spent two weeks there three years ago and went all over. I may post pictures later.
16. Do you cosplay? (post pictures if possible) Yes, I do, though I unfortunately have not been able to go to many con’s so I haven’t been able to cosplay a lot. So far I’ve cosplayed Yoh from Shaman King as well as various non-anime characters (Shaun from Shaun of the Dead, The Crow, and Meg Griffin). I also designed a Kagura costume, but never got the chance to wear it. Next summer I won’t be obligated to teach music at the naval base I normally teach at because I’ll be aging out of cadets, so I’m planning on going to Comic Con in San Diego and Anime Evolution in Vancouver. Possible cosplays are Ken Ichijouji (with hopefully a Daisuke to..."manhandle"), Daimon Masaru, Martel, Linna, Sokka or Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV.
And for your viewimg pleasure a picture of me cosplaying as Shaun from Shaun of the Dead at school...yes, not anime, but the costume was still awesome. I don't know how many people here go to Anime Evolution, but there was one guy on the Sunday of AE 2004 cosplaying Choji who took a picture of me in my Yoh costume...and I was wondering if was on here or if that picture was ever uploaded...looking for a needle in a haystack, I know, but worth a shot!
17. Are you in an anime club? Screw being in one, I started one at the North Vancouver City Library, and I was also responsible for sampling anime and manga and choosing which ones the library would order. I’ve now moved on from North Van, but I will be joining the anime club at my new university.
18. Have you ever been to an anime convention? Which one? Yes, to Anime Evolution in 2003, 2004 and 2005…but at all three I could only attend the Sunday.
19. Have you ever seen an anime in the movie theatre? nope, though if they showed the original movies rather than the badly dubbed ones then I would gladly pay to go see it at a movie theatre.
20. How would you describe your anime fandom? (What type of fan are you?) I’m one of those fans that loves the villains and loves to slash as much as possible. I read fanfiction and have written a little (most of it was when I was younger and it was absolute crap, but I’m starting to write again). I also Roleplay quite a bit, especially in multi-fandom RPG’s. I don’t know if this is what you meant…but that’s how I’m interpreting the question. I can’t really define myself as a fan; I try a bit of everything, and sometimes I like it and sometimes I don’t.